The Miami Indians of Indiana call the Wabash River ‘Waapaahsiki Siipiiwi’. According to historical records and archaeological research, this cultural Mound site in Sullivan County appears to date back to the Late Woodland Era, A.D. 500-1650, pre-European contact. The Mound builders along the river in times past used sacred sites like WSMHP for burial and ceremonial purposes prior to colonization. In late 1700, records show the presence of Miami, Wea, Piankashaw, Kickapoo, Delaware and Shawnee tribes along the river hunting and trading in what is now the Wabash Valley, within half a mile is the river’s edge called ‘The Narrows’, a historically documented crossing during the War of 1812 encounters. All a part of history, this Mound site is preserved from the erosion of time and protected for the future. The park is open dawn to dusk.